Our Blog

What Should You Do if You Are in a Car Accident?

Not all states have laws that assign responsibilities to drivers involved in car accidents. However, Florida has very specific requirements.

Under Title XXIII, Chapter 316, Section 027 anyone in a crash involving death or personal injuries must, by law, do the following:

  • Stop and exchange information: Stop at the scene of the crash or as close as possible and remain there until after you have given your name, address, vehicle registration number, driver license or permit to the driver, occupant or person attending the other vehicle or property damaged in the crash.
  • Provide information to a police officer: You must also give this information to a law enforcement officer if one is investigating the crash.
  • Assist the injured: The law also requires you to give reasonable assistance to anyone involved in the crash, which includes carrying them or making arrangements for them to be carried to a physician, surgeon or hospital when it’s obvious treatment is necessary.
  • Report your information: After fulfilling these requirements, or when no one is in condition to receive your information or no police officer is present, you should report to the nearest police office authority and submit your information there. 

Failure to comply with these rules is a first-degree felony.

Mandatory sentencing for someone failing to comply with these rules, who was also driving under the influence, is a minimum term of two years’ imprisonment.

You must carry out the same responsibilities when the accident only causes property damage. Failure to do so is a second-degree misdemeanor. As much as possible, you should position your vehicle in a way that avoids obstructing other traffic.

Whenever substantial property damage, injury or death results from a car accident, you should consult with an accident lawyer right away. By working with a law firm, you can protect your rights and evaluate your ability to recover compensation for damages. Attorneys have access to experts for conducting investigations, reconstructing accidents and assessing damages.